The council-manager form of government is essential to ICMA. In this form of government, an elected body appoints a professional manager to administer the day-to-day activities of a local government.
- "Serving as stewards of representative democracy.
- Practicing the highest standards of honesty and integrity in local governance, as expressed through ICMA's Code of Ethics.
- Advocating for professional management as an integral component of effective local governance and community building, with council-manager government as the preferred local government structure.
- Building sustainable communities as a core responsibility of local government.
- Networking and exchanging knowledge and skills across international boundaries.
- Ensuring that local governments and the association reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.
- Committing to lifelong learning and professional development.
- Building up the quality of the profession and the association through an engaged network of members personally committed to that end."
777 North Capitol Street NE, Suite 500
Washington, DC 20002-4201
Phone: (202) 289-ICMA
Fax: (202) 962-3500